Wednesday, December 4, 2013

GPS-BASED MAP

 



Instructions:
Map something including 30 waypoints or a track that exhibits a discernible geographic pattern on a map. Use ArcGIS to obtain a base layer for the map and plot the data onto the map.

Methods:
Using an E-trex, I drove my usual hill-training run at 6:45am to ensure minimal traffic so I could drive slow and collect as many data points as possible. As a result it took me one hour and 5 minutes.

Using the tracking mode, I established the following settings: record method - distance, interval - .01km.

I chose to include the topographic profile layer in ArcGIS because of my focus on elevation change. This will help to indicate where hilly areas are in Eau Claire thus assisting the purpose of my map.

Challenges:
Because I was not able to actually run the course in time to meet the due date, the car travel was painstaking.

I should have set the E-trex for a lower interval in order to include more data points.

The map shops elevation height, but what is more interesting is elevation change. As a result some hilly areas are difficult to make out. There are hills going into Carson Park that most readers will not pick out becuase they are not colored red or orange. Only someone looking for it will notice the change from green to yellow and realize there are hills there.

Because the change in elevation is what really matters, it was necessary to include a large number of data classifications. Even then, some of the colors are muddled. The area to the far left is several hills in a row with increasing elevation change.This is not immediately visible in my map.

No comments:

Post a Comment